Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Love Note

Humans are the most unformed creatures
When they are expelled, kicking and screaming,
Into the world.

Still shapeless, they unite with each other
To bring another generation, clawing at the air,
Into their lives.

I was formless when you took me in
And pledged your troth, glistening and hot,
Forever and ever.

Forever and ever and ever.
Through sickness and health, not to destroy,
But to build up.

How could I know the turmoil
Life had in store, crouching in the dark,
Waiting to pounce?

How could I know that you,
Of all the women in the world, would be
The one to stand by my side?

We face the world together.
Nothing in all its animal rage can
Defeat us now.

In the end you and I
Walk slowly and carefully, arm in arm,
Into a forest

Teeming with life and sound.
Aware of the power, subtle and strong,
To complete each other.

1 comment:

  1. Gene, this is beautiful. I am glad that this experience, which would have torn many apart, has brought you two closer than ever. My love to both of you.

    ReplyDelete